Monday, September 2, 2013

Artistic Mumbo-Jumo: A lull...sort of...

So it's been a while.

I can't promise I'll be incredibly regular with this thing, but I will post when I think there's something worth sharing.

Opinions may vary.

The quest to define my work in a more ME-centric way continues, though at a less-frenetic pace.  It's still buzzing in the back of my brain, but I've been distracting myself with other things...

Lately I've been working on paintings again, which scratches an itch I've neglected for too long.  I've forgotten the joy I get out of mixing mud, and am glad that it's come back to me.

Here are some recent examples:





I decided to do some monster portraits for Halloween.  To have in the house, as well as to sell as prints, postcards, etc. on my Esty shop.  We'll see how that goes...

I have learned that I'm not keen on canvas.  There is some give to it, which allows me to play with the building-up of color, but the texture ends up being a bit of a hindrance to me in the end.  Perhaps I should reserve it for landscapes, instead of the more "comic-centric" stuff I usually do.

I found some old paintings of mine from the school days, which were done on illustration board, and it just reminds me of how much more I like the medium.  Trouble is, most craft stores don't stock it, so online orders it is!  Bleh.

In other thoughts, I'm wondering if I'm not really cut-out to be a freelancer.

I've been reading some articles and thinking a lot about what I want to do with my work, and have started to think that freelancing isn't part of it.  Not sure.  I think I'd like to take things toward my own creations, or properties.  I'd also like to get into just selling art by itself.

Shocking, I know.

Of course, this requires research like printing costs, viability of doing the prints myself (Thanks to Dave Hamann for showing me some alternatives!), as well as marketing and getting myself seen more.  This seems to be the biggest hump to climb over, but I'm working on it.

I'm going to get my thoughts in coherent order and write about that in the near-future.  It might even make sense!

Kids start school tomorrow!  Hopefully this means more time for me to work on my crap!

(Naps count, right?)

Thanks for reading.  Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment